Rede de Judiarias de Portugal

Porto

The city of Porto, that since the beginning of the nation had several Jewish quarters, watched D.João I, in 1386, order the concentration of Jews in the Olival quarter, inside the medieval walls. The new Jewish quarter abutted with two of the doors of that wall, still today referenceable: the one from Olival and the one located in the Escadas da Esnoga (Esnoga Stairs).´

The synagogue was located where today can be found the S.Bento da Vitória convent. During medieval times, Porto was the headquarters of one of seven Jewish autonomous justice administration structures in the country; the one from Entre Douro e Minho.

Already at the time of the new Christians, these, mainly associated with mercantile bourgeoisie and maritime business, are forced to settle in S. Miguel Street, main axis of the quarter. A few years ago was here discovered the secret Synagogue (ns. 9-11) whose Hejal is now preserved and visitable.

The writer and intelectual from Porto Immanuel Aboab (1555-1628) refered, after having emigrated, to the memory of going praying at this synagogue with his parents as a child. He was the great-grandchild of the “last gaon (rabbinical authority) of Castela”, Isaac Aboab who, at the time of the expulsion of the Jews from Spain, negotiated with D.João II the coming to Portugal and to this quarter in Porto of thirty notable castillian families who were welcomed in very favourable conditions by the local City Hall. These houseshad a P carved on the frontand the community was responsible for paving the Rua de S. Miguel (S. Miguel Street) where they had settled.

Distinguished personalities from Porto (who left during the diaspora) were also the philosopher Uriel da Costa (1590- 1647), the founder and first president of the Sephardic Community of Amsterdam, Jacob Tirado (1544-1620), the doctor and parnassim of the community of Hamburg Samuel da Silva (1571-1631), the rabin, doctor, poet and author of Tratado da Imortalidade da Alma (Treaty of the Immortality of the Soul) Abraham Pharar (?-1663) and Bento Teixeira, Luso-Brazillian poet (1561-1618), one of the greatest scholars of his time and author of Presopopeia (epic poem responsible for propagating the Baroque style in Brazil), who died in the dungeons of the Inquisition at age 40.

Three areas have been identified for the settlement of Jews in Porto: the “Judiaria Velha” (old Jewish quarter), in the street of Sant’Ana; the “Judiaria de Monchique” (Monchique Jewish quarter), outside the city’s boundaries; and the “Judiaria Nova do Olival” (New Olival Jewish quarter), inside the city’s walls as well. This last settlement took place in 1386, ordered by king John I, as a safety measure and bringing together the Jews that were scattered in different parts of the city. The area was circumscribed by a fence with two doors: one giving access to the Olival, and another one to Stairs of Esnoga and the road to Belmonte. The houses were built where an olive grove stood, presently comprising the streets of São Bento da Vitória and São Miguel, being laid down in an east-west grid type. The synagogue was in the centre. Thirty families that had been banished from Castille where sheltered here and would suffer a setback, once again, served by the edict of 1496, forcing them either to conversion or expulsion. Once extinct the Jewish quarter of Olival, the houses of Jews refusing conversion were turned over to old Christians. In those that remained occupied by the now-new Christians, many cruciform marks were engraved on the door posts, lintels and basements of the buildings, Christian symbols that replaced the mezuzah. The Monastery of São Bento da Vitória was built on the former land of the Jewish quarter while the synagogue would be transformed into the Nossa Senhora da Vitória Chuch.


A Sinagoga situava-se no local do actual convento de S. Bento da Vitória.
Durante a época medieval, o Porto era sede de uma das sete ouvidorias (administração autónoma de justiça) judaicas do país; a de Entre Douro e Minho.
Já no tempo dos cristãos-novos, estes, principalmente ligados à burguesia mercantil e ao negócio marítimo, são obrigados a fixar-se na R.de S. Miguel, principal eixo do bairro. Há poucos anos, foi aqui descoberta a Sinagoga secreta (nº 9-11) cujo Hejal está agora preservado e visitável.

O intelectual e escritor portuense Immanuel Aboab ( 1555-1628) referiu-se, depois de emigrado, à lembrança de, em criança, ir com os pais orar a esta Sinagoga. Era bisneto do " último gaon ( autoridade rabínica ) de Castela", Isaac Aboab que, quando da expulsão dos judeus de Espanha, em 1492, negociou com D. João II a vinda para Portugal e para este quarteirão do Porto de 30 notáveis famílias castelhanas acolhidas em condições muito favoráveis pela Câmara Municipal da cidade. Estas casas patenteavam um P e a comunidade ficou responsável pelo calcetamento da R. de S. Miguel onde se haviam instalado.

Também ilustres portuenses saídos para a diáspora foram personalidades como o filósofo Uriel da Costa(1590- 1647), o fundador e primeiro presidente da Comunidade Sefardita de Amsterdam, Jacob Tirado(1544-1620), o médico e parnassim da comunidade de Hamburgo Samuel da Silva ( 1571-1631 ), autor do Tratado da Imortalidade da Alma, o rabino, médico e poeta  Abraham Pharar ( ?- 1663) e Bento Teixeira, poeta luso-brasileiro (1561-1618), um dos maiores eruditos portugueses da época, autor de Prosopopeia e falecido nas masmorras da inquisição com 40 anos.

Conhecem-se três locais de implantação de judeus no Porto: a Judiaria Velha, na Rua das Aldas (atual Rua de Sant’Ana) e espalhando-se até à Rua Escura e à Rua Chã; a Judiaria de Monchique, extramuros, em Miragaia; e a Judiaria Nova do Olival, novamente dentro de muros. Esta última seria instituída em 1386, por ordem de Dom João I, justificando-se como medida de segurança e reunindo os judeus entretanto dispersos pela cidade. Estava circunscrita por uma cerca, aberta por duas portas: uma para o Largo da Porta do Olival, outra para as Escadas da Esnoga (hoje da Vitória) e para caminho de Belmonte. Ocupando um antigo olival, foi urbanizada em torno de um eixo principal, hoje composto pelas Ruas de São Bento da Vitória e de São Miguel, cruzado por travessas perpendiculares. No centro  ficava a sinagoga. Depois da sua expulsão de Castela, aqui foram acolhidas e assimiladas trinta famílias, que haveriam de sofrer novo revés pelo édito de dezembro de 1496, que as obrigava à conversão ou expulsão. Extinta a Judiaria do Olival, as casas dos judeus renitentes à conversão foram entregues a cristãos-velhos. Nas que permaneceram ocupadas pelos agora cristãos-novos, foram gravadas marcas – muitas cruciformes – nas ombreiras das portas, lintéis e embasamentos das construções, símbolos cristãos que substituíram o mezuzah. Sobre parte da antiga judiaria foi construído o monumental Mosteiro de São Bento da Vitória, enquanto a sinagoga seria transformada na Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Vitória.

 

Contactos:

Câmara Municipal do Porto

Departamento Municipal de Cultura e Ciência

Palacete dos Viscondes de Balsemão

Praça de Carlos Alberto, 71

4050-157 PORTO

 

+351 223 393 480

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

back to top